Back to Top justHiking: My Thoughts on Footwear
F

My Thoughts on Footwear

As a backpacker, I'm always on the lookout for gear that is lighter, more durable and makes travel more efficient. Footwear can make your feet feel like hamburger after 3 miles or refreshed after a weeklong expedition. Like many other backpackers, I've made the switch from hiking boots to UL trail runners, and I'll never look back. Most of this information is first hand knowledge, but a lot of the background was found on the forum HighSierraTopix on this thread.


Why is the boot in decline?

 

Don't all backpackers have to wear boots to protect their feet from the elements and cushion the weight of a heavy pack? Every book I've found on backpacking agrees and recommends heavy-duty leather hiking boots with heavy soles that can be replaced when they wear out. I believe these books are out of date as new technologies have helped contribute to the demise of the hiking boot.

First, as lighter and stronger fabrics are introduced into backpacking equipment the packweight has progressively gotten lighter. This coupled with the ultralight (UL) movement and thru-hikers has led to incredible light packweights. I don't consider myself an ULer by any stretch, but I was able to lower my base weight to <20 lbs for my week on the High Sierra Trail, something not easily done 25 years ago. Because of the decline in weight, not as much foot support is needed.

Secondly, the success of these shoes can also be attributed to the PCT thru-hikers. These people hike 2,659 miles straight from Mexico to Canada. They are the people who use and abuse their gear, and can tell you what works and what doesn't. When the overwhelming majority of them use trail runners, it presents a strong argument for shoes.

Finally, my personal reason for the switch to shoes, moisture control. My old boots were waterproof and great at it. But they were also great at keeping moisture in, whether it be sweat or water. This moisture led to blisters and general discomfort. You can get breathable non-waterproof boots, but I just see this as a step before going all the way to shoes. My current shoes aren't waterproof, but instead have a lightweight mesh upper that allows excellent ventilation. I have repeatedly completely soaked my shoes only to have them dry ten minutes later. I don't have to carefully step from rock to rock on creek crossings, but can wade on through  not worrying about water coming over the sides of my boot.

 

But aren't shoes...?

 

As much as I love my shoes, they do have their problems. In general they don't last as long as boots even though they cost about as much, so plan on buying them more often. They also don't offer the sole support that boots do- although this is less true as trail runners gain in popularity. Consider adding an insole if your pack is over 25 lbs or you have weak arches. I find that while I don't get blisters like I used to, my feet do hurt more after a long hike, especially if it's off trail or on especially uneven terrain. Some argue that shoes offer little in the way of ankle support, and I agree. They don't. But often times support just treats the symptoms and not the cause. If you have weak ankles it would be better to strengthen them instead of relying on boots to catch you if you trip.

 

HYOH


You may love your boots and say you've never gotten wet or had a blister, and that's great! All I can say is that boots didn't work for me. And that's the great thing about backpacking, there's many different ways to do it. I'm not a fan of pumping water, while others can't stand the squeezing and multiple bottles on a Sawyer filter. If it works for you and you like it, then don't worry about changing your style. I'm just saying this worked for me and I want to share it with anyone else having the same issues and offer a solution. In the end it comes down to whatever you're comfortable with, so go out and "Hike Your Own Hike".



No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top