Back to Top justHiking: George Lake Day Hike
F

George Lake Day Hike

One of the great things about being a young college student is the spontaneity my lifestyle affords me. Saturday evening at 6:30 I decided I wanted to go somewhere and do something. I quick grabbed some food, my daypack and my sleeping bag and drove up the 168 to Kaiser Pass. I slept at the pass and enjoyed being out of Fresno for a bit. Sunday morning was the time change so I got an extra hour of sleep even though I was up by 6. I parked at the Twin Lakes Trailhead by Badger Flat and started hiking up. I'd never done this trail, in fact the only trail I've done on the 168 corridor is Kaiser Peak earlier this year.  It was a steady climb up to Potter Pass, at which point I ditched the trail and climbed the summit to the west.



Dropping down through the trees I ran into this really nice pond. And I've been getting (a tiny bit) better at taking photos and learning how to do some HDR.


Further down the hill was Lower Twin Lake and I rejoined the trail. Upper Twin soon followed and I barely stopped to take a picture as I kept on to George Lake.


A quick snack at George and I was heading back. The only thing that slowed me down was the geology on the trail. Giant beds of almost pure calcite excited the geologist in me. There was also lots of deformation in the meta-sedimentary rocks that would have been heated as the granites were intruded. I grabbed a few nice samples and carried them back to my car before driving back into Fresno and getting ready for school Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top