Back to Top justHiking: Soldier Lake and Mt. Langley
F

Soldier Lake and Mt. Langley

Day 1: 



I drove from Fresno to Lone Pine the night before and camped up Horseshoe Meadows TH. I met up with my friend Corey (who climbed Mt. Stewart with me last year Ring around Kaweahs 2019) and we started towards New Army Pass. Cottonwood Lakes never disappoints and it was beautiful as usual. We were even lucky enough to see some bighorn sheep, something neither of us had seen before. Once over the pass we made our way down to Lower Soldier Lake to camp for the night. 












Day 2:

Our plan today was to climb Mt. Langley. I had done it a couple times before but for Corey, it was his first time. We headed up to Upper Soldier Lake where I made an error and ended up climbing too far north and we had to navigate more difficult terrain than necessary. 





The views from Upper Soldier and the upper drainage were spectacularly stark and barren. This is my favorite type of area in the Sierra and I loved it! Heading north-east towards the wall we made our way up the switchbacks. They are not maintained, but are in remarkably good condition. 







Once we connected to the Mt. Langley trail it was just another hour or so to the summit. 




At this point Corey and I headed in separate directions: he was heading west on a 8 day trip to Lodgepole but I had to be at work the next morning. I headed down Old Army Pass trail (not as bad as the rangers make it seem) and back to my car. This area of the Sierra is well used, but it's still one of my favorite places to be.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top