Back to Top justHiking: New Army Pass-Langley 7/26-7/27/18
F

New Army Pass-Langley 7/26-7/27/18

In preparation for my JMT hike this year I decided to head to Lone Pine and take a warm up hike in the Cottonwood Lakes area since I would be coming through here in a few weeks. My friend Ranger Corey was also completing the High Sierra Trail as part of his patrol and needed a ride back to Sequoia so it worked out great. I drove up Wednesday evening after work from Sequoia NP and slept in my car outside the visitors center.

Thursday 7/26


Thursday morning I got my permit for New Army Pass and headed up to the trailhead. I had to make a small detour due to some car trouble, but eventually I crept my way up to the TH. It sprinkled on me a bit as I started out but I made good time to South Fork, Long, and High Lakes. It was still plenty light as I passed the lakes so I decided to camp at the pass. New Army Pass was much easier than I expected but just as beautiful. Dry camping is something I'm getting more used to. It really opens up the possibilities for places with no mosquitoes and no people (which can also mean less bear activity).


Friday 7/27


Friday morning I packed up and started the climb to Langley. The trail was easy to follow with just enough scrambling to make it interesting. The summit offered great views of Whitney and the surrounding area. I was able to radio Corey and coordinate our exits so we would meet at Whitney Portal around the same time.


Heading down I decided to exit via Old Army Pass despite the warnings that the trail was washed out. I found it to be in good condition and had no problems with it. Cottonwood lakes were really nice. I can see why this area is so popular.


After getting back to the trailhead I dropped down to Lone Pine and then drove up to Whitney Portal, picked up Corey and started the long drive back to Sequoia so both of us could go to work the next morning. A great trip in some country I don't often get to travel because of my West side proximity.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top